Sweet soup to keep you warm
Winter is here for a few more months, so warm yourself up with this sweet potato and orange soup – it’s the perfect comfort food on chilly days and winter nights.
Packed full of nutrients, this recipe counts as two and a half of an adult’s five a day. It’s also packed with vitamin C, thanks to the sweet potatoes and orange juice. Best of all, it’s good for your waistline at just 167 calories per serving.
Have it as a lunch or starter served with thick crusty bread – and if you like, add a sprinkling of sweet potato chips too.
3 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
1 garlic clove
1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
1 large sweet potato
Salt and pepper
Juice of 1 orange
- Place the oil, garlic and onion in a heavy-.‐based pan on a medium heat, and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add the peeled and chopped sweet potato, cook and stir for a further five minutes before adding the stock.
- Bring to the boil and turn down the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Cook until the potatoes break when squashed with a fork against the side of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and with the help of a hand blender or food processor cream the soup.
- Return to the heat, add the orange juice and adjust the seasoning.
The thickness of the soup will depend on the size of the sweet potato. If it’s too thin you can either add more mashed sweet potato or boil it a little longer to reduce it. If it’s too thick, add a little extra stock or water. For extra velvetiness, add a couple of white potatoes.