Mild chilli con carne
1 large onion
1 red pepper
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 level tsp mild chilli powder
1tsp ground cumin
500g lean minced beef
1 beef stock cube
400g can chopped tomatoes
1/2tsp dried marjoram
2tbsp tomato puree
410 can red kidney beans
Plain boiled long grain rice, to serve
Soured cream, to serve
- Finely chop the onion, pepper and garlic cloves.
- Cook the onions until slightly translucent, add in garlic, red pepper and 1tsp each of chilli powder, paprika and cumin. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the meat, get it sizzling and browning. Meanwhile, make the sauce using a beef stock cube, 300ml hot water, on 400g can of chopped tomatoes.
- Add in 1/2tsp dried marjoram and 1tsp sugar, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Finally stir in 2tbsp of tomato puree.
- Bring to the boil, stir and leave to gently bubble on a low heat for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse 1 can of red kidney beans and stir into the pot, adding some more water if it looks too dry.
- Turn off the heat and let the chilli soak up the flavours for another 15 minutes at least.
- Serve with a dollop of soured cream and plain long grain rice.