10 ways to have a healthy holiday
Going on your annual summer holiday doesn’t have to mean abandoning a healthy lifestyle. These days, holidays aren’t just about eating the entire all-you-can-eat buffet and coming home with more than a little excess baggage (around the hips, that is).
You can still go away, have fun and tone up at the same time, before returning home happier with health benefits that will outlast any holiday tan.
To give you a helping hand, here are seven tips on staying healthy (and getting healthier) during your annual vacation from specialist holiday company Health and Fitness Travel:
- Travel healthy Being confined to the cramped conditions and recirculated air of an aeroplane isn’t the best way to start a holiday. So travel healthy by swapping boozy beverages for water to stay hydrated, and keep your circulation flowing with some simple stretches.
- Go explore Adventure beyond the hotel pool to explore your new surroundings will help keep you active. Taking in the sights on foot or on a bike ride will help you discover the scenery while increasing your heart rate.
- Swim for success A full body workout and great cardiovascular exercise, swimming is a refreshing way to keep active while staying cool and is full of health benefits, from muscle toning to reducing stress.
- Catch up on sleep Try to avoid the temptation to stay up late every night. A holiday is a good time to catch up on lost sleep and recharge your batteries.
- Eat smart Fuel your body with the right nutrition for your trip. If you’re going on an activity holiday you’ll need lots of slow energy-releasing carbohydrates to keep up your strength. If you’re relaxing on a more leisurely break, watch your portion sizes and swap foods high in sugar and fat for more fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Cool down If you’re exercising in hot conditions, your body’s core temperature will be higher than usual. Cooling down properly after exercise will reduce muscle fatigue and help you recover from the mental fatigue of a session sooner.
- Make day-to-day changes Health and fitness is a lifestyle and should be a part of your daily practice no matter where you are in the world. Make small daily changes on your holiday, from taking the stairs rather than the elevator, to swapping an afternoon at the bar for a game of tennis or golf.
Before you travel, ask your local Careway pharmacist to recommend essential health products to take away, including sun protection, holiday first-aid items and remedies for headaches and upset stomachs. Find your nearest Careway pharmacy by using our Pharmacy Finder.